Friday, August 29, 2008

Another update

Rylie has been blue. Not sure why, but she had a pretty bad week which made it a bad week for me. She's been terribly cranky and difficult to deal with since Monday. Today I have hope, because she seems to be wanting to play and be a little more independent. Whew . . .
 
Rylie's counts have been fabulous! She had a WBC in the 12s on Wednesday. Her hemoglobin and platelets were also normal. She has had a positive culture for the adenovirus the last two weeks, so when she is at the hospital the doctors and nurses have to be gowned up and wear masks when they are around Rylie so they do not spread the virus to their other patients. They even have a special waiting "room" for Rylie (it's really just a lonely hall with a few chairs). Since she is testing positive, we are of course concerned, but she has no symptoms so the doctors think it is just her body still working to get rid of this virus that she had this summer. The pesky thing keeps trying to rear its ugly head. They are not adding any additional medications right now. The doctor will only do that if he thinks her body is not fighting it on its own. So far, she is showing some strong fighting power! 

We have stayed fairly cautious when choosing to do activities with Rylie. She still has zero T-cells which makes a virus really dangerous for our girl. With flu and cold season coming up, I'm paranoid, but I believe Lyle and I have earned the right to be paranoid! :) I take Rylie on stroller rides almost every day, and I have taken her to Target to run errands a couple of times. She has to wear her mask, and that of course causes any child at the store to stop and stare. I'm so glad that Rylie just doesn't know to care. One of the cutest thing she does is find a wet wipe to begin wiping down her stroller or her toys or her high chair. She's obsessed with a clean environment. Hmmm . . . wonder who she got that from? :)

Hope everyone has a great Labor Day weekend. 






4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok, so Rylie is such a trip. I LOVE the germophobia that she has picked up on. Not that we can't relate...

I'm sorry to hear that she's not been such a happy camper. Here's hoping she'll perk up this weekend. And booo for that Adenovirus... go away!

WBC over 12?!?!?! Ok, we're jealous.

We miss you guys so much.

Kjirsten said...

Maybe what Rylie needs is a long weekend with the Maw and Paw to fawn all over her. Here's to hoping for a great Labor Day weekend for the Hays.
Lots of Love!

Joy said...

You know, part of the reasons for the meltdowns is just her age! They start long before they turn 2 and will last long after they turn 3. I'm dealing with an almost-18-month-old and a 3-year-old. Our trip to the store today was interesting indeed!

Glad to hear Rylie is out and about!

Another Namtarts Blog said...

God sure chose the right parents for Rylie! Gary and I say that all the time. We send our love from California.

Proverbs 3:5–8

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight. Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and shun evil. This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones."